Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Butterflies, Oh My!

I got my butterfly decals in yesterday and I was so excited I couldn't wait to start working on the girls mobiles. :D They turned out pretty cute, though not exactly what I was the end it doesn't matter. It's still something pretty for the girls to look at. :)

 The supplies I used:  Hot glue (my fingers are still burning unfortunately! Lol), Clear cord (I used the stretchy stuff they sell in the jewelry making section at Joanns), Embrodery hoops, Ribbon, Scissors, and of course the butterflies.
 One of the more challenging parts of the process was the simple fact of dividing up the butterflies and how many I wanted on each mobile. Haha. (You wouldn't think it was that hard, right? But I had odd numbers, and finally decided that I would use the left overs for the wall behind the girls crib.)
 So first I pulled the inside of the embordery hoop out, and covered them with ribbon. You don't have to do this, but I think it looks nice.
 Then came the real tricky part. Figuring out how to get the butterflies to balance! They were really top heavy, so after an hour of playing with it my darling hubby decided the easiest way for me to do this was just use two strings. (I really didn't want all that clutter, but it was the only way to get them to lay semi flat.)
 Here's the bottom of the big hoop.
 The smaller hoop.
 And the bottom of the smaller hoop.
 All done! After finishing I realized that I really could have just done ONE bigger hoop and laid the butterflies a little closer together..but oh well. It's done now. Not that you can tell either, but I laid them out in a "wind chime" kind of fashion. Starting with the big white butterflies short and having the last purple one be longer than all the rest so it kind of cascaded down.
So this is what the girls will actually see. :) I hope they like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment